The Arts in STEM: Advancing Meaningful Integration
Target Grade(s): K-12
At the core of the STEM Education movement is critical thinking, creativity, problem solving, and authentic learning environments that engage diverse students in meaningful ways with content. The many mediums for art and artistic expression are a valuable component of communication and expression. Scientists and researchers at NASA and across the globe use myriad forms of art in their work. This course invites students to take a close look at the incorporation of art in the STEM classroom and provides resources, exemplars, and access to collaborative support for arts integration.
|Apply art in the context of exciting STEM concepts and learn to integrate art, science, math, technology, and engineering in more meaningful ways in your classroom.|
What can I expect from this course?
Participants attend 5 LIVE, online sessions in a user-friendly format, which include, but are not limited to the following topics:
Session 1: The Arts are Essential
Session 2: Creativity in STEM Fields
Session 3: Personification of STEM
Session 4: Visual Arts in the context of NASA Missions
Session 5: Assessing the Arts in STEM
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas:
All NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas are integrated into this course. The specific focus of assignments and discussions are tailored by the participants needs.
- Art and Engineering Design
- NASA Mission Art
- Importance of the Arts
- Art Integration
- The Art and STEM Connection
- Exploring Art Forms
- Assessing the Arts in STEM
- Standards and the Arts
NGSS Science and Engineering Practices (8 of 8 addressed):
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
What other opportunities may I pursue?
Participants may implement course content and develop a portfolio following the guidelines of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, with the goal of submitting work for National Board Certification.
Educators may seek opportunities to present at conferences, or among colleagues and education community stakeholders. Course instructors and mentors will support your individual goals to become leaders in integrated STEM education.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe, compare, and implement a variety of pedagogical strategies, including assessment strategies that will enable students to learn science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and art.
- Understand the connection between the arts and STEM Education.
- Identify a variety of resources to meet NGSS performance expectations and the National Art Core Standards in STEM education.
- Conduct and engineering design challenge and use self-created rubrics to contextualize understanding of assessment practices in STEM Education through applied practices.
- Develop integrated Art lessons based on reform-based recommendations (i.e., NGSS and CCSS) and the National Art Core Standards.
select 1 of the 1 sessions
All sessions are EDT.
8-PM Session starting 5/16/19:
5/16/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
5/23/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
6/6/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
6/27/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
7/11/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
Login to My Endeavor to register.