Methods of STEM Education* [Grades PK-5]
Target Grade(s): PK-5
Engage your elementary students in hands on activities, investigations, data analysis and productive science talk using practices and resources shared in this course. Consider innovative lesson planning strategies for teaching, learning and assessing integrated STEM. Participants gain knowledge of STEM resources and meaningful activities to integrate science and math concepts in exciting contexts, like engineering, coding, and NASA exploration. Explore the synergies between Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards for a productive and exciting learning environment that prepares students for ongoing interest in STEM. Methods of STEM serves as a foundation for additional courses in the Endeavor program.
|Engage your elementary students in STEM content through research-based practices and access to exciting lessons integrating NASA data.|
What can I expect from this course?
Participants attend 5 LIVE, online sessions in a user-friendly format, which include, but are not limited to the following topics:
Session 1: STEM Integration: What's New and What Do I Already Do?
Session 2: Engaging Phenomena
Session 3: Engineering Design and Technology
Session 4: Designing Meaningful Assessments
Session 5: Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas:
All NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas are integrated into this course. The specific focus of assignments and discussions are tailored by the participants needs.
- Depth of Knowledge
- 5E Lesson Planning
- Phenomena Based Teaching
- NGSS Philosophy
- Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Engineering Design
- Nature of Science
NGSS Science and Engineering Practices (8 of 8 addressed):
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
What other opportunities may I pursue?
Participants may implement course content and develop a portfolio following the guidelines of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, with the goal of submitting work for National Board Certification.
Educators may seek opportunities to present at conferences, or among colleagues and education community stakeholders. Course instructors and mentors will support your individual goals to become leaders in integrated STEM education.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe, compare, and implement a variety of pedagogical strategies, including assessment strategies that will enable students to learn science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Understand the Nature of Science and its importance in STEM instruction.
- Identify a variety of resources to meet NGSS performance expectations in STEM education.
- Conduct investigations and use data to contextualize understanding through applied practices.
- Develop integrated STEM lessons based on reform-based recommendations, i.e., NGSS and CCSS
select 1 of the 1 sessions
All sessions are EDT.
8-PM Session starting 5/20/19:
5/20/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
6/3/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
6/17/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
7/15/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
7/22/19, 8-9 PM EASTERN
Login to My Endeavor to register.